Friday, July 06, 2007

Needle and Thread

I haven't answered an SBQ in a while, so here are two--and quite a pair!

How many needles do you use during a project? Have you ever loaded up a needle for every color? Do you use a new needle for every project or recycle your favorite needle? I can't use needles for too long. I think I am physically acidic. (It's not just an acid tongue!) I remove the plating off needles--doesn't matter if they are nickel or gold or platinum--use a needle too long and it is down to the bare metal and rough. I use them as long as I can (so I guess I recycle) for one project or two or three, but eventually they become unusable. I have indeed loaded up a needle for every color, went out and bought one of these for the project even. It didn't turn out to save any time. (Ultimately, you still have to thread the needle when you run out of floss.) It was just a huge pita to keep everything where it belonged.

Do you consider yourself a "floss miser?" Not at all! When you think of it, the floss is among the cheapest parts of this whole endeavor--no matter whether you are using silk or cotton, nor whether you pay $1 or .20 for a skein of DMC. You hardly ever use a whole skein of floss on a project. There are some bobbins of floss I am still using that because of marks I made on them, I know they are from one of my first projects. And I am still using it eighteen years later! I throw away great gobs of floss. Doesn't mean I never try to squeeze out a couple of extra stitches--but that's more out of laziness than stinginess.

No comments: