Wednesday, May 02, 2007

More on the Lawn

Last night when I got home from work, I gave the dude the option of cooking dinner or pulling weeds. He chose option c: "lying on the couch and watching Champions League football." I figured I could hold out for dinner, so I went back to the dandelion fight. As a result, I took about 10 stitches on the marquoir last night.

Why am I doing it, some have asked. It would be fine to have dandelions if I had a field like 'Chelle. In fact, dandelions are almost pretty. The leaves are ugly, but the flowers are nice. And if I made dandelion wine, they'd never hit the pufferball stage (my husband says these are clocks, but isn't pufferball more fun to say?). But I have a small lawn. One that butts right up against the neighbor's lawn. I just think it's part of the Neighborhood Social Contract not to allow the weeds to take over your lawn, and thus, invade the lawn of the neighbors. (The Contract also has rules about parking a car on your lawn, putting cars in your driveway up on blocks, letting your barky dog out of the house at 3:00 am, having wild parties without inviting everyone, fighting with your spouse at neighborhood functions, and having farm animals in a sub/urban area.)

We're trying to do this in a green way, so no chemical pesticides. Just the corn gluten stuff. Our lawnmower is electric (no carbon emissions or noise), but if it were up to me, it would work entirely under our own power. Of course, the neighbors are probably wondering why the fuck we don't mow it. We're waiting for a part which we should get tomorrow. As it is, we're the last ones on the block to do the first spring mow, thus breaking the Contract. But we are keeping up our end on the dandelions.

1 comment:

Chelle said...

The dandy war continues here as well. (They recently cut the field behind the house. I'm sure that didn't stir up any fluff or send it our direction. Yea, right.) DH is not opposed to better life through chemistry, but he prefers to dig them out by the roots. He likes to quote Ripley, "it's the only way to be sure." Now I've soiled your blog with an Aliens reference. I better go now...