Friday, July 22, 2005

SBQ: Converting

Have you ever done a color conversion? If so, what did you think about your results and would you do it again?
My first ever conversion was in Sue Stokes's class, gosh I wish the piece weren't in storage because I can't remember which one it is... The colors she had were Needle Necessities Victorian Christmas and greens in the 502 range of DMC. It was very early 90s, all that mauve and green. I was tired of mauve and green, so I went to the mall at Spirit...or was it another festival?...and found a blue and green NN to replace it with. The color combination I ended up with was much more complimentary than contrasting. I liked it, but I could tell Sue didn't think much of it, although she did emphasize that I should do what made me happy.

Now I do it all the time. If I don't like how something looks or am missing a color, I'll just swap things out...sometimes one color, sometimes the whole palette

Thinking about color reminds me of the time my mother was making a quilt for me. It was the early 80s, and the quilters among us will remember the dearth of cotton fabrics that were available to them. It was all calico and solids. (If you love the selection of quilting fabrics available now, thank the women who were quilting in the early 80s who demanded more!) I had a rainbow painted on my wall. (Remember, the late 70s/early 80s were the time of geometric wall paintings. My parents had a sunset on the family room wall, but I digress...) Even though my quilt was going to college with me, I wanted it to have all the colors of the rainbow. I went around the Blue Goose in Bedford, NH picking out fabrics: a blue calico on white for the background, red, orange with white flowers, yellow, blue, green, and purple. My mother thought the colors were awful, but the shop owner said I had an eye for color because they were all the same tone. And it came out great. I just wish I had taken better care of it; there's a huge tear in the border. Maybe when it's out of storage, I can post a picture. I still love that quilt.

No comments: