Monday, December 13, 2004

Stitching Bloggers QOTW: Obligations

Obligation Stitching: Yes? No? Maybe? I stitch for weddings and babies, at least the first ones. It has sort of become expected in the extended family that these presents will arrive, but I still get to pick the degisn, so I hardly think of it as an obligation although others might. Well, there were two patterns that I regretted. Both are samplers I did for cousins. One was hideously frou frou. I held my nose, but it was pretty quick. The other was the project that led to the stitch bitch nickname: a kit with 1000 shades of green. Okay, not 1000, but every single one DMC made. And the bushes and trees were all blended and confetti. It was a pisser. I chose it because the kit picture had the same chapel as my cousin was getting married in. That's not really a good reason to choose something... This year was the first year anyone's ever asked me to stitch something specific for them. But it was my best pal (and she was appropriately sheepish in asking), it's her first baby, she stitches (so she knows exactly what she's asked me to do) and shucks, the pattern was on my to do list anyway! So that's hardly an obligation.

Now, the round robins. I can't tell you how big a mistake these were. Probably I will feel different in about a month and a half. But right now, I'm trying to finish Christmas, and I have these stupid extraneous deadlines! The good thing about them is that I am getting to see patterns I may have missed, stitch in colors I might not otherwise use, and um, well that's it. I couldn't believe when I looked at the calendar today and it was time to send the Sisters and Best Friends Robin. Gack. I haven't even finished the first of three motifs. And Wednesday there's another due to go out. The problem, really, with these is that I signed up for too many. But after I have finished the ones I've signed up for, that's that.

Given the pressure of the RRs, I'm pretty sure I will never take on a commission or stitch for a designer. This is supposed to be fun!

No comments: