Wednesday, March 31, 2004

We Have Pattern

amy! came over last night and we made a pattern for the Ott-lite carrier. Well, she made a pattern, and I watched. I did steal the oversized paper from work and buy the t-square. She's a genius when it comes to thinking shapes and math and stuff. Of course, she does have that degree and all. I, on the other hand, am kind of like the guy in Flatland who can't get his mind around the idea of three dimensions. Of course, I live in a three-dimensional world so I should have a better handle on it. When it comes to rotating shapes in my head, I'm hopeless. When I'm using a map, I have to turn it in the direction we are going. And there's the whole left/right problem. I'm always telling my beleaguered husband to turn right when what I really mean is left; didn't he see my hand pointing?

At first we were going to make the carrier smaller than the ones we saw so the light wouldn't be rattling around, but then we figured they probably have the insides padded up the wazoo, so we left the dimensions alone, and we'll be inserting foam into the finished piece. We did consider lining it, but then figured it would be easier to wash if the foam could be removed. I'll let you know how it goes when my mother tries it at the end of April.

No stitching progress.