Thursday, March 04, 2004

the magazine business

I was trying to think of something to blog about to take my mind off the afghan mistake. Okay, I'll tell you about the mistake and then I'll talk about what else I thought I might talk about.

The Mistake
Back when I was working onthe narcissus, I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel (three more blocks on the afghan). This revelation led to an excited frenzy of kitting up the flower threads. I didn't take any threads out of the hydrangea which was begun but had to be abandoned. When I got to the sweet pea, I couldn't find the medium rose, but I did find this funky sort of dark rusty-rose Ginnie Thompson thread. I thought I must have purchased the GT to make up for missing DMCFT. And I thought this dark rose must somehow substitute for the medium. So I demoted the dark rose DMCFT to "medium" and used the GT for the dark. Well, someone has kindly offered any of the DMCFTs I may need, so I reviewed what I had so I could make one request. And that's when I found the medium rose lurking in the hydrangea kit. I'm heartbroken that I have fucked up so badly. But with only 31 days to go, I don't feel like I can redo the sweet pea. The leaves are already taking much more time than I had anticipated. I'm going to show it to MB at our stitching weekend to see what she thinks, but she is a good friend so I am sure she will say it's fine. Let that be a lesson in kitting. (The big problem really was that I bought a couple of GTs to substitute for DMCFTs and I didn't write it down when I made those decisions four years ago...)

what else I thought I might talk about
The magazine thing. I promised not to blog about the afghan during the rest of the week, so I was searching for something to talk about. I thought I hadn't received a new Sampler & Antique Needlework in a while nor a new Piecework. So I dug through the magazines to find my most recent issues. As I was flipping through them, I realized I didn't remember a thing about them. It's possible I threw them into the magazine basket without looking at them, but more possible is that I just have too much to remember and I don't really need all these magazines. I spoke earlier of ebaying the Australian Embroidery and Cross-stitch magazines even though they're beautiful to look at. I've never done a single pattern from them. In fact, I've done nothing from Sampler & Antique Needlework nor Piecework. What is the value of these subscriptions? Some mystical connection with the other readers? Perhaps I'll read them on the plane next week to remind myself. What about you? Do you have too manysubscriptions?

No comments: