I managed to stitch the whole of the outline of the hydrangea, and if nothing else gets done it is now recognizeable as a hydrangea. I did get quite far with it--I finished at least three of the many colors in it.
For the first time, I've had to blow up a chart. There are so many color changes that I was getting frustrated trying to read the jumble of symbols. I increased the 8.5x11 page to 11x17. I made two copies--one so that I can highlight what I've done and the second so I can read the backstitching symbols. I am blaming it on the pattern and not my increasing age. It can't be my eyes. I'm not even 40!